Being that it is the beginning of October, it’s time for my monthly update.
Successes: Getting back in the pool on the “off” days – so Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays. It’s nice getting in the pool on a daily basis and being able to do more stroke work and pulling. I enjoy swimming with the Masters group, but sometimes the workouts just suck, and they’re the last thing I want to do.
Case in point: Last Friday (9/27/13), we did an I.M. heavy workout – so a lot more butterfly, backstroke, and breaststroke than we normally do. On a normal day, I wouldn’t have complained. But I had already done an I.M. heavy workout the day before – so I complained the entire time.
Challenges: My work schedule has been hectic all month long. So I’ve been thrown off a lot and have skipped a lot of practices because of it. Then I try to do longer workouts to make up for it. It just doesn’t help me stick to a schedule, which is something I talk about on here…seemingly on repeat.
Case in point: The week of September 16 – 20, I missed working out 4 of the 5 work days, because of work. Two of the days I had to be at work at 6 a.m. and the other two days I either had to be there extra early…or I slept in. It’s really hard to get up at 5 a.m. to go swim 1.5 – 2 miles after consistently getting 4-5 hours of sleep each day of the week.
Yards swam in September: 27,500
Mileage = 15.6
Total yards swam in 2013: 246,042
Mileage = 139.8
Overall total: 370,035
Mileage = 210.2
Percent complete = 19%
Swimming goals for the next month:
- Hit 415,000 by the end of October – my yardage goal would be to hit 500,000 by the end of 2013.
- Still sticking with in the pool 4 out of 5 times a week, with each swim being at least 2000 yards.
- Having at least one workout per week be I.M. heavy, and focusing more on butterfly, backstroke, and breaststroke.
- Figuring out swim meets for 2013/2014, and figuring out races for next year (both swims and triathlons).
BIKING STATS AND GOALS:
Monthly bike mileage: 23.27
2013 bike mileage: 688.55
Biking goals for the winter:
- Buy a new (faster) bike for next year!
- Try to maintain a weekly distance – the goal for the winter for biking is to maintain, and focus on running. Next summer I’ll focus more on biking and lowering my time on the bike
RUNNING STATS AND GOALS:
Monthly run mileage: 280.09
2013 run mileage: 216.59
Running goals for the winter:
- Improve my 5K time – the last time I raced a 5K (not as part of a tri), I finished in 25:07 (7:57/mile). I’d like to be able to drop that time for solo 5Ks and maintain that time in a sprint distance tri
Here’s where I am on my swimming map: